Law Offices of Jan Joseph Bejar A P.L.C.
Resolving Immigration Problems In An Honest & Responsible Manner

How to bring a child to live in the United States

Are you a United States citizen? Do you have the desire to bring a child to live with you in the country? If you find yourself in this position, you may have a variety of questions about what you should and shouldn't be doing.

To start, you need to understand the definition of a child as it pertains to eligibility purposes. A child is anyone under the age of 21 who is not married.

Note: You have the right to petition on behalf of an unmarried daughter or son who is over the age of 21.

What are the documentation requirements?

There is a lot that goes into bringing a child to live in the United States. Here are some of the many steps that you need to take:

  • Complete a petition for alien relative, Form I-130. In addition to completing the form, you should sign it and include the filing fee.
  • Provide evidence of your United States citizenship. This can include any of the following: United States passport, United States birth certificate, certificate of citizenship, naturalization certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Proof of name change. This may not always be applicable, but there are times, such as if you are married, where it's necessary.
  • Proof of relationship. For example, if you're the biological mother, you need to provide a copy of the child's birth certificate. If you're the biological gather, you'll also need a copy of the marriage certificate to the child's biological mother and evidence of an established relationship.

If you want to bring a child to live in the United States, you should begin to collect this information as soon as possible. Even if you have everything you need on hand, this is never a fast and simple process. Any number of challenges could arise along the way.

As long as you know what's required of you, which steps to take, and your legal rights for bringing a child to live in the United States, you'll find yourself in position to reach your goal in the future.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Do You Have A Case Or Question?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Our Office

Law Offices of Jan Joseph Bejar, A P.L.C.
3230 Fifth Avenue
Suite 100
San Diego, CA 92103

Phone: 619-291-1112
Fax: 619-291-1102
Map & Directions

Review Us
Google Map