Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

Who needs TN visas?

On Behalf of | Jan 28, 2016 | Employment Immigration

Non immigrant professionals, of all sorts, that need to or want to enter California or elsewhere in United States for employment reasons often need certain visas before entry will be granted. TN visas are used just for this purpose. Who needs TN visas, how long are they good for and what are the eligibility requirements?

TN visas were created as a result of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which allows non immigrant professionals the ability to enter the country, temporarily, strictly for business purposes. Professionals who may need this type of visa include lawyers, accountants, engineers, scientists and teachers — among others. If approved, TN visas are good for up to three years; however, it may be possible to seek an extension if it is needed or desired.

There are very strict eligibility requirements that must be met by those seeking TN visas. These include that one must be a citizen of Canada or Mexico, that the applicant must have prearranged employment in a NAFTA professional field and that one must be able to provide proof of professional training or eligibility for employment. Those coming from Canada are not required to apply for a TN visa through a consulate; instead, they may show all necessary documents at the border. Professionals coming from Mexico, however, will need to apply for visas at a U.S. embassy or consulate.

Obtaining a TN visa is not always a swift and smooth process. Those in need of TN visas, extensions or help getting the proper documentation so that family members may join them in the country may seek legal assistance. A California immigrantion attorney would be able to help with any of these issues.

Source:, “TN NAFTA Professionals“, Accessed on Jan. 28, 2016