Due to the health risks posed by the Corona Virus tragedy, our office is following the directives of the governor of California in order to minimize the risks to our staff, our clients and our community. Our office will continue to operate fully, as it has thus far, observing our normal schedule, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. We will continue to schedule appointments to meet with clients and will do this via ZOOM or Telephone only.

If you would like to schedule an appointment with any of our lawyers or staff members, please do so by calling our office at 619-291-1112. You can also contact us via e-mail at [email protected]

Thank you for your understanding.


Debido a los riesgos para la salud planteados por la tragedia del Virus Corona, nuestra oficina está siguiendo las directivas del gobernador de California para minimizar los riesgos para nuestro personal, nuestros clientes y nuestra comunidad. Nuestra oficina seguirá funcionando a pleno, como lo ha hecho hasta ahora, cumpliendo con nuestro horario habitual, de lunes a viernes de 8:30 a.m. a 5:30 p.m. Continuaremos programando citas para reunirnos con los clientes y lo haremos solo a través de ZOOM o por teléfono.

Si desea programar una cita con alguno de nuestros abogados o miembros del personal, hágalo llamando a nuestra oficina al 619-291-1112. También puede contactarnos por correo electrónico a [email protected]

Gracias por su comprensión.

Resolving Immigration ProblemsIn An Honest & Responsible Manner

Citizenship and naturalization: What is derived citizenship?

Children of naturalized citizens may be granted automatic citizenship in the United States. This is known as derived citizenship. California residents who believe this applies to them may seek the assistance of an attorney with experience in citizenship and naturalization for the purpose of securing this status change. Of course, certain rules do apply.

When a permanent resident achieves citizenship, his or her children may be granted automatic citizenship as well if they meet all the necessary qualifications. These include that a child must have been under the age of 18 as of Feb. 2001 and that he or she was also a permanent resident at the time. To claim derived citizenship specifically through one’s mother, a child must have been born out of wedlock, a child’s parent’s must be divorced or the father must be deceased at the time the mother is naturalized.

If parents are married, and a child is still under the age of 18 as of Feb. 2001, he or she may still be granted citizenship if at least one parent becomes naturalized. In this type of situation, there must be proof that the child resides in the United States and that the citizen parent has legal and physical custody. Whether filing for citizenship through one’s mother or both parents, proof must be obtained to show that one meets all the necessary qualifications.

Citizenship and naturalization rules can be confusing, and obtaining proof that one qualifies for derived citizenship may not always be easy. However, it is worth the effort. An experienced immigrantion attorney can help individuals in California who believe that they qualify for derived citizenship obtain the appropriate documents needed to apply for and receive their citizenship certificates.

Source: New York Daily News, “Permanent residents who derive U.S. citizenship from parent’s naturalization must get proof“, Allan Wernick, Feb. 23, 2016


We are open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

For our clients’ convenience we offer English and Spanish speaking services.