Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

How do I prove that I am a U.S. citizen?

On Behalf of | Nov 24, 2017 | Citizenship

Proving that you are a citizen of the United States can depend on your personal history and whether or not you were born in the United States. If you were, in fact, born in the United States, proving citizenship is easy. The only thing that you will need to provide is your birth certificate. If you were not born in the United States, things can be a little more complicated. The following are some frequently asked questions about proof of citizenship.

As a U.S. citizen, how do I register my children as a U.S. citizens when they were born abroad?

You should first contact the U.S. embassy in the country that your children were born in. They will be able to provide information about whether your children can become U.S. citizens and how you should go about registering them.

I was not born in the U.S., but one of my parents was a U.S. citizen when I was born. Does this mean that I can become a U.S. citizen?

This depends on which country you were born in and on what the law was at the time that you were born. This is quite a complex issue and will likely require some legal analysis.

I am a citizen but need proof. How do I do this?

The first option is to apply for a U.S. passport through the department of state. The other option is to apply to USCIS by filling in Form N-600. If you have any questions of struggles in proving your citizenship, it is a good idea to seek assistance.

Source: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, “How do I get proof of my U.S. citizenship,” accessed Nov. 24, 2017