Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

What documentation do I need to bring my spouse to America?

On Behalf of | Apr 20, 2018 | Family Immigration

No one wants to be separated from their spouse, but immigration law can make bringing your spouse to the United States a stressful and uncertain process. In the following paragraphs, you will learn exactly what documentation is required to bring your spouse into the United States.

In all cases, no matter what your residency status, you’ll require the Form I-30, signed, with the appropriate fee, and the following documents:

  • Your civil marriage certificate
  • A copy of any of your past divorce decrees, annulment decrees or death certificates to show that your previous marriages are no longer in effect
  • Separate passport photos of you and your spouse
  • Evidence showing any legal name changes that apply to you or your spouse

United States citizens must prove their citizenship with the following:

  • A photocopy of a current U.S. passport
  • A photocopy of your U.S. birth certificate
  • A photocopy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad
  • A photocopy of your naturalization certificate
  • A photocopy of your certificate of citizenship

U.S. green card holders must show their permanent residency status with the following:

  • A photocopy of the Form I-551 green card
  • A photocopy of your foreign passport that shows the stamp that reveals your permanent residency

There’s no reason to be separated from your spouse in the United States, as the law will help you bring him or her into the country in most cases. If you’re ready to bring your spouse into the United States legally, it’s certainly possible. You’ll just have a few legal hurdles you’ll need to jump through. Navigate the legal process successfully, and your loving spouse will soon be back in your arms again.