Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

Can I help my sister come live with me in the United States?

On Behalf of | Nov 1, 2018 | Family Immigration

Imagine you’re the lucky sibling — the one who was born in the United States, so you have citizenship. Your sister, on the other hand, is still living in your home country under harsh conditions and it breaks your heart to see her separated from you like this. Can you do something, as a United States citizen, to help her come to live with you?

If you’re a United States citizen and you’re 21 years of age or older, you can file a petition to bring your sister into the country. If you’re a green card holder and have yet to acquire citizenship, however, the following method does not apply.

Here’s the paperwork you’ll need to fill out and submit as the U.S. citizen petitioner on behalf of your sister:

The Form I-130: You will only need to fill out one of these forms for your sister and her immediate family, which includes her spouse and children who are under the age of 21.

Copies of birth certificates: You will need to submit copies of your birth certificate and your sister’s birth certificates that show you share at least one parent.

Evidence of U.S. citizenship: You’ll need to submit one of the following forms of citizenship evidence: a U.S. passport, a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. naturalization certificate or a U.S. certificate of citizenship.

Filling out the above forms and documentation can be intimidating for many petition filers who hope to bring a sibling into the United States. To ensure you complete these forms suitably and appropriately, you may want to discuss your sister’s case with a qualified California family immigration attorney.