Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

Work eligibility in the United States for noncitizens

On Behalf of | Sep 14, 2019 | Employment Immigration

People who work in the United States must have proper documentation to do this. Citizens have birth certificates and Social Security cards. Immigrants also need to have appropriate documents. This includes an Employment Authorization Document and a work visa.

When you apply for jobs in this country, employers are supposed to verify that you are legally allowed to work here. There are several different types of workers that the U.S. recognizes. Obviously, citizens can work. Nationals who aren’t citizens, lawful permanent residents and nonresidents who aren’t citizens but have proper documentation can also work.

Some individuals who come here to work do so temporarily. Students who come to the United States might need to hold a job to earn spending money. Unskilled workers like those who are employed on farms, and skilled workers like those who work in specialized fields are eligible for visas to work in this country.

Citizens and green card holders don’t have to worry about having an Employment Authorization Document, but others who want to work here will need one. Those who are asylum seekers or refugees, foreign nationals, spouses and fiances of citizens and some students are eligible for this document. Others might also be able to apply for one, depending on their circumstances.

When you apply for a job and are offered employment, the employer must see a copy of your documentation. They have to note it on the I-9 form. You have to give them the original documents because they aren’t allowed to accept photocopies.

There are many caveats to the work eligibility programs in this country. Be sure that you know exactly what you need to do so you are able to earn money legally while you are here.