Due to the health risks posed by the Corona Virus tragedy, our office is following the directives of the governor of California in order to minimize the risks to our staff, our clients and our community. Our office will continue to operate fully, as it has thus far, observing our normal schedule, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. We will continue to schedule appointments to meet with clients and will do this via ZOOM or Telephone only.

If you would like to schedule an appointment with any of our lawyers or staff members, please do so by calling our office at 619-291-1112. You can also contact us via e-mail at [email protected]

Thank you for your understanding.


Debido a los riesgos para la salud planteados por la tragedia del Virus Corona, nuestra oficina está siguiendo las directivas del gobernador de California para minimizar los riesgos para nuestro personal, nuestros clientes y nuestra comunidad. Nuestra oficina seguirá funcionando a pleno, como lo ha hecho hasta ahora, cumpliendo con nuestro horario habitual, de lunes a viernes de 8:30 a.m. a 5:30 p.m. Continuaremos programando citas para reunirnos con los clientes y lo haremos solo a través de ZOOM o por teléfono.

Si desea programar una cita con alguno de nuestros abogados o miembros del personal, hágalo llamando a nuestra oficina al 619-291-1112. También puede contactarnos por correo electrónico a [email protected]

Gracias por su comprensión.

Resolving Immigration ProblemsIn An Honest & Responsible Manner

Are you eligible for an adjustment of status through a family visa?

For those currently staying in the United States through the family preference visa program, it may be possible to seek an adjustment of their status. Such an adjustment can allow those only currently staying in the United States to become a lawful permanent resident who holds a Green Card. With a Green Card, you can stay indefinitely in the United States and seek work here, despite not entering the country via a work visa.

Provided that you already have a specific family relationship with a citizen of the United States, whether they are your parents, your spouse, your siblings or your child, you may be eligible to apply for an adjustment of your status after entry into the United States through a family-based immigration visa if you meet certain criteria.

You have to submit specific paperwork and pass a review of your request

Usually, the first step for adjustment of your status and eligibility for a Green Card will involve the submission of specific immigration paperwork. You will need to complete and file form I-485, also known as the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. You have to be in the United States at the time that you file form I-485.

You also need to meet all of the criteria to receive an immigrant visa. Typically, you will need to demonstrate that you went through an inspection for admission prior to entry in the United States. Additionally, you must affirm that you still have an existing relationship with a citizen or lawful permanent resident.

The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will also review information ranging from reports on any criminal record you have domestically or abroad to the likelihood you present of becoming a public charge.

Certain circumstances may bar you from an adjustment of status

There are situations in which the USCIS will likely not approve a request to adjust your status. These include illegal entry into the United States or other violations of immigration law. However, even if the USCIS declines to adjust your status or finds that you are inadmissible to the United States, other options may still exist.

The exact situation that leads to your immigration request, the issue that complicates your application and the relationship you have with someone living in the United States will all influence what rights and choices you have as an immigrant.


We are open Monday to Friday, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and we accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express.

For our clients’ convenience we offer English and Spanish speaking services.