Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

The different ways to get proof of citizenship

On Behalf of | Apr 29, 2020 | Citizenship

Individuals who were born in California or any other territory under the jurisdiction of the United States will receive a birth certificate. Those who are naturalized will receive a naturalization certificate that will act as their proof of citizenship. However, individuals who are born outside of the United States and are citizens because their parents were citizens won’t receive either type of form. Instead, they will need to either apply for a passport or a certificate of citizenship.

Applying for a passport is a relatively easy process for those who claim to be citizens because their parents are citizens. They will need to show evidence that a parent is a citizen and that both the parent and the applicant have followed all residency requirements. This may be done by presenting tax returns, employment records or other evidence that supports an applicant’s assertions.

Those who are seeking a certificate of citizenship will need to present copies of their birth certificates and naturalization certificates to USICS officials. It may also be necessary for a person to present a copy of his or her marriage certificate. Those who have changed their name pursuant to a divorce should be ready to provide a copy of their divorce decrees. In some cases, the process of obtaining a certificate of citizenship can take a year or more to complete.

Those who are seeking ways to obtain proof of citizenship may be able to do so with the help of an attorney. An attorney may track the status of a request for citizenship paperwork or determine if a person’s claim of being a birthright or naturalized citizen is legitimate. Legal counsel may also be able to securely retain copies of a birth certificate, certificate of naturalization or other important forms.