Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

Common questions answered about H-1B visas

On Behalf of | Dec 8, 2020 | Employment Immigration

So many people want to live in the United States permanently and create a life for themselves here because of the many opportunities there are. While there are a host of ways for immigrants to stay in the U.S. for a significant amount of time legally, it can still be difficult to figure out which kind of visa you need and whether you will be eligible for it.

One popular visa is the H-1B visa. This visa is reserved for those who have specialist skills that they can perform within a highly specialized occupation. This visa is primarily made available so that the United States can attract talented workers who are in high demand. If you think that you may qualify for the H-1B visa, you will likely still be uncertain about certain details, and you may have further questions. The following are some of the most frequently asked questions about H-1B visas.

What is the H-1B visa?

The H-1B visa is a nonimmigrant work visa. This means that it only allows a temporary stay in the U.S. for work purposes, and does not give visa holders permanent residence.

What are the eligibility requirements?

You need to be qualified in a specialty skill that is demanded by a potential employer who is willing to sponsor you and you must have a U.S. bachelor’s degree or equivalent in that skill.

Do I need to be in the U.S. at the time of filing?

You do not need to be in the U.S. at the time of filing. If a U.S. employer offers you a job when you are in your home country, your prospective U.S. employer can file your H-1B visa petition without issue.

If you have received a job offer in the U.S. and you are a highly skilled worker, it is likely that you will be able to gain an H-1B visa if your employer is willing to sponsor you. Make sure that you understand the law and take appropriate action to be successful.