Serving The Immigration Needs Of The San Diego Area Since 1984

How do I know what type of employment visa I need?

On Behalf of | Aug 19, 2014 | Employment Immigration

Individuals from all across the globe often have a desire to obtain gainful employment in the United States. In fact, every year thousands of immigrants are granted the necessary documentation required to work not only in California, but nationwide. Whether their desire is simply to have a temporary growth opportunity or includes hopes of someday making this new work arrangement permanent, an employment visa is necessary to get the process started.

Several types of work visas are available based on the type of employment sought. Some of these include H-1B visas, H-2 visas and L-1 visas. H-1B visas are granted in a limited supply every year and are necessary to secure employment in specialty positions — more specifically, for those career opportunities that require a professional degree. H-2 visas are popular among seasonal workers, both in agricultural and non-agricultural fields. Lastly, L-1 visas are required for employees who would like to transfer from an international office to a domestic location.

These are just a few of the many employment visas available. Other types can be viewed on our Temporary Work Permit page. It is important to note, that regardless of the type of visa you may apply for, certain qualifications and regulations apply. As with all legal matters, following specified guidelines can make all the difference in having an employment visa approved or denied.

Immigrants who come to California for work bring with them a unique set of knowledge and skills that not only benefit their employer, but the economy as a whole. Obtaining an employment visa can be a somewhat complex process; however, it can certainly prove worthwhile in the end. Seeking assistance from an experienced immigration attorney, one who specializes in employment visas, can help determine which type of visa is needed, and ensure applications are submitted without error.

Source:, “San Diego Temporary Work Permit Attorney,” Aug. 14, 2014